1. Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat and add the red onion slices.
2. Rinse and drain the jackfruit.
3. Cut the core off of the jackfruit chunks and discard.
4. Using two forks, shred the jackfruit meat, discarding the seed pods.
5. Once the onions are caramelized, and 1 of the garlic cloves and saute another minute.
6. Add the jackfruit, barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, sugar, mustard, worcestershire sauce and thyme to the pan.
7. Lower the heat to simmer for 20 minutes.
8. Heat the oven to 425 degrees.
9. Mix the vegan butter with the remaining grated clove of garlic and spread onto each sandwich roll. You might have to melt it for a few seconds in the microwave, though I prefer to keep it more solid as it makes it easier to spread onto the rolls.
10. Place buns butter side up on a baking sheet and place in oven. Check after 5 minutes and remove once the tops are slightly browned.
11. Once the jackfruit has simmered for about 20 minutes, place a large spoonful on each bun. Top with slaw, mustard and or pickles if desired.
1. Combine the cabbage and carrot in a large bowl.
2. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the agave, dijon, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Pour the liquid mixture over the cabbage and stir until well coated.
4. Serve on the sandwich or on the side with some pickles.
These sandwiches taste great topped with slaw and served with pickles and baked beans.
If using a vinegar based bbq sauce, you might try omitting the apple cider vinegar.
Enjoy our first ever Meatless Monday recipe!