Day 30 – Lessons Learned
I have been alive for 30 years.
30 years of memories, 30 years of lessons learned, 30 years of ups and downs, 30 years of growing up.
When I started this blog I had this idea of how it would go – that it would be easy to write and tons of fun. In the end it was hard work – I had to really look at my shit and confront the things that were no longer serving me. It has been a tremendous growth process – one I am grateful to have been able to share.
Yesterday was an awesome day. I turned 30 with some of the most important people in my life (the rest of you were missed!!) and I got to think about all that I have learned in this process.
So here it is:
30 things I have learned in my 30 years on this earth…
- Everything is a choice – happiness or suffering, we get to choose. Figure out what makes you happy, then do more of it. Day 25 – happy
- There are only 2 guarantees in life: change and death. Change takes time and death comes quicker than you think. Get busy living your life, don’t wait for someone else to live it for you, for the right time, the right place etc. The only right, is right now. Go for it! Start now, do it NOW. Day 1 – the beginning
- At the end of the day I regret the things I did not do, more than the things I did poorly.
- Anything worth having requires effort. Day 14 – the start
- Life is 10% what happens, 90% what you make of it… if something is making you miserable, stop doing it. If you can’t, change your attitude.
- All people are assholes. All people are inherently good. Life is paradox.
- There are 3 sides to every story – yours, the other persons and the truth. When you point your finger out into the world, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you – look within.
- Dogs can teach us everything we need to know: stop and smell the roses, be kind, cuddle, when your happy shake your entire body to let others know… it will make them smile, don’t take anything for granted and take pleasure in the little things. Patrick says: Life is not about winning, it’s about having fun.
- Be grateful for what you have. You’ll end up having more. If you concentrate on what you don’t have you’ll never have enough. Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have. Day 3 – abundance
- normal is relative and my relatives aren’t normal. Be weird with your family, enjoy them. Family is important. Never forget that. Day 4 – it’s all relative
- Where thoughts go energy flows. Day 20 – make a wish Talk about the things you’re working on, act as if, and it will come! Day 24 – excited Self doubt paves the way to a self-fulfilling prophecy. Tell yourself you can, then prove yourself right! Day 18 – stretch What you feed grows. Grow something awesome!
- It is easy to focus on the have nots and the have tos and forget about the already been done and already haves. Make a list of all that you have accomplished, all that you already have and it will change your whole perspective. Day 6 – list
- It is OK to have a bad day. Day 7 – bad day
- Passion ignites the flame that inspires the actions that makes dreams become reality. Passion is what brings meaning and purpose into our lives, especially if that passion involves giving back, helping others and making a difference. Trust the process. Day 15
- Keep an open mind, and learn new ideas. Then teach these ideas to others. Learning and teaching are linked in a perfect cycle, in which information comes to you when you need it. How? Stay Honest, Open and Willing. Day 8 – Golden
- No expectations = no disappointment. Delink from the outcome and enjoy the ride! Day 10 – poison vs. nectar
- It doesn’t have to be done all at once. It will never all be finished. There will always be more to do. I don’t have it all figured out. I can’t do everything. But I can do anything. Day 11 – don’t sweat
- Life can seem like a big slick boulder – no idea where to go, how to get up, how to move forward. In those moments: ask for help, take the risk and make shit happen Day 12 – jtree
- Detroit is the greatest city in the world – if you haven’t been you need to go. Day 17 – The D
- Yoga, in the end is much more than a workout – it is a stretch beyond the physical. Through the practice of yoga I have learned a lot about who I am, and who I am not. It has taught me about acceptance, integrity, truth, balance and most importantly how to get comfy in my discomfort. Yoga is life and life is yoga. Day 18 – stretch
- Give more, take less, be of service. Day 19 – ode to gramps
- possibility is up to me – the only place where things are impossible lies in my own head. Out there, in the world, lies infinite possibility. Day 22 – possibility
- when we set aside all the craziness we’re left only with the people in our lives. Day 23- friends
- This world can seem really big, really lonely and really pointless sometimes… when that happens think about what you’re grateful for. Your frown will turn upside down. Remember: I am right where I need to be. I am ENOUGH! Day 26 – grateful
- Music makes everything better. Without music, life would be a mistake. – Friedrich Nietzche Day 27 – my life in music
- What you possess, possesses you. When you look back, you won’t remember the stuff you bought, you’ll remember the times you spent surrounded by good people, the things you did for others and the time spent with family. Make time to make memories. Spending all of your waking hours working to pay for that new bag/car/shoes you want…not worth it. Day 28 – The Money Post
- Make every day a celebration Day 29 – celebrate
- Respect yourself enough to walk away from anything that no longer serves you, grows you or makes you happy. If you’re struggling – talk about it. Let’s get real people.
- Everyone has an opinion. Listen to your own truth, follow your instincts, free yourself of judgment so that you may be yourself – everyone else is taken. Day 2 – free to be & Day 9 – real
- Afraid? Ask yourself: “what’s the worst thing that could happen?” if you can live with whatever the answer is – go for it! Choose to face EVERYTHING and meet it with a roar – nothing to be scared of, we got this shit! – Day 21 – fear
Here’s to a decade of awesome! Progress, not perfection… One Down Dog at at time!